Monday, January 14, 2013


One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2013 was to enjoy my job more.  So far 13 days in, it’s been a bust.  On Friday I left work with my teeth gritted together, my shoulders so tense you could crack an egg on them and my head pounding.  On Sunday night I sit here on the precipice of yet another Monday relishing in the domesticity of the weekend.  My house is clean.  The laundry is done.  I made low fat delicious apricot-banana bread, took Callah to the Children’s Museum and squeezed in a quick shopping trip for new leggings during her nap.  

I don’t delude myself that I could stay home easily, I need lots of social interaction to stay sane and being a full time mom would require me to have a social secretary worthy of the White House, but I can’t help feeling that I wish I had more time home with Callah.

The nature of my job--a teacher--allows me a couple of weeks here and there and an entire summer off.  So while I know some people have it better, I’m also accutely aware that many don’t have it as good as I do.  Yet I can’t help feeling cheated and bewildered and frustrated at the end of the work week.  There was so much more I wanted to do and I hate the feeling of gleefully checking the days off--that’s my life I just crossed out with a joyous flourish of my pen!

Without further ado.  My action plan for the remainder of January:
1.) Wake up each morning and steep a cup of tea.  Enjoy the 10 minute ritual.
2.) At work, greet each child at the door every morning.
3.) (Side note: we do yoga in my classroom each day).  When we say “namaste;” mean namaste!
4.) Stop grumbling under my breath.
5.) Think of one nice thing about each child every day and tell it to them.  Yup.  EACH. CHILD.  EVERY DAY.  Some will be trickier than others.
6.) Think of something nice to say to my assistants each day and tell it to them.
7.) Tidy up my desk at the end of the day.

I can’t be in two places at once and I think I resent my job a little bit from keeping me away from my daughter and my Kitchen-Aide mixer.  But at the end of the day, I am proud of my career and aspire to do it well.  I want to pass on to my daughter that not only do I have a job that pays the bills, but I have a job that will help change the world, one child at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips