Monday, April 23, 2012

Parenting Tip #1: Buy an Air Mattress












In the summer intervening 7th and 8th grade we moved from Erie, PA to Boise, ID. We spent a summer living in an apartment waiting for our new home to be move-in ready, and in this apartment we had both a swimming pool and cable television. I swam in the days and spent my rebellious tween evenings building an elaborate house model out of paper and watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

It is this memory that I think of every morning as I strip the comforter off the air mattress and push it against the wall. You see, MTM had a murphy bed in her apartment and put the bed away each day. This intrigued me in my youth as did everything about Mary Tyler Moore (her hair flip, her snazzy outfits, her sassy fearless attitude). Why didn't she have a bedroom? Where did she keep her extra sheets? Her pillows? Her off-season wraps and scarves?

On an oddly related issues, Nick and I took a stand about three weeks ago and began working on getting Callah to sleep through the night in her crib. There were many many tears (and Callah cried some too), but now she sleeps in her crib all night. Which is great, only her crib is in our room, because we only have the one bedroom, so that leaves us the air mattress and the living room.

Callah needs to rely on herself to fall asleep and we need the space and time to have a conversation without Callah in between us. So we have a large master suite with a gorgeous hand-made (by Nick) bed that lies empty, a crib with a sleeping baby, and an air mattress, which leaves me twirling and tossing my hat in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips